Get Help

If you have questions about your reverse mortgage, contact the mortgage company that services your loan. Your servicer’s contact information should be on your loan paperwork or on the periodic statements or notices you receive regarding your reverse mortgage loan balance. Additionally, we’ve listed several large reverse mortgage loan servicers on the table below (expand section to view). You’ll also find out how to contact a free HUD-approved housing counseling agency, how to avoid scams, and information on State Programs in the expandable sections below.

If you are struggling with paying your property-related expenses (such as property taxes and insurance), it is strongly recommended and encouraged that you work with a HUD-approved housing counseling agency.

Your counselor will help you review your financial situation and work with your mortgage servicer. In addition, your counselor will be able to refer you to other resources that might assist you in balancing your budget and retaining your home.

Your reverse mortgage servicer can provide you with information about free HUD-approved housing counseling agencies and how to contact them.

What Documents Will My Counselor Need?

Your reverse mortgage counselor will provide specific information on the documents you’ll need to provide and your next steps—typically you will need to provide documentation of your income and expenses.

Mortgage Company Serviced By Toll-Free
Champion Mortgage Champion Mortgage 866-654-0020
Circle Mortgage Corporation Circle Mortgage
866-654-0020 n/a
Citizens First Wholesale Mortgage Reverse Mortgage
Solutions, Inc.
Celink Celink 866-654-0020 n/a
DLJ Mortgage Capital Inc. Celink 866-654-0020 n/a
Everhome Mortgage Company Celink 866-654-0020 n/a
Financial Freedom,
OneWest Bank
n/a 800-441-4428
Generation Mortgage Company n/a 866-733-6092 n/a
GMAC Mortgage LLC Celink 866-654-0020 n/a
James B. Nutter n/a 800-943-7334 n/a
Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc. Liberty Home
Equity Solutions, Inc.
Live Well Financial Inc. Live Well
Financial Inc.
866-654-0020 n/a
Metlife Bank N.A. Celink 866-654-0020 n/a
Nationwide Advantage
Mortgage Company
n/a 866-350-8884 nationwideadvantage
Nationstar Nationstar 866-654-0020 n/a
Northern Ohio Investment Company n/a 800-441-3456
Oceanfirst Bank Oceanfirst Bank 866-654-0020 n/a
Security One Lending Reverse Mortgage
Solutions, Inc.
St. James Mortgage Corporation n/a 800-837-7005
Sun American Mortgage Company Sun American
Mortgage Company
866-654-0020 n/a
Sun West Mortgage n/a 800-453-7884
Urban Financial Group, Inc. Reverse Mortgage
Solutions, Inc.
& Celink
Wells Fargo n/a 877-623-8439
Wendover Financial
Services Corporation
Celink 866-654-0020 n/a

The federal Hardest Hit Funds® are available in some states to assist senior homeowners with reverse mortgages who are in default and may be facing foreclosure. Take a look at what's available and what states are participating—these resources are available for reverse mortgage homeowners who need assistance due to nonpayment of expenses like property taxes, homeowner's insurance and homeowner's and/or condo association dues.

Florida ELMORE Program

The Elderly Mortgage Assistance Program (ELMORE) offers eligible homeowners up to $25,000 to pay for property-related expenses through a forgivable two-year loan. You may be eligible for assistance if you meet these specific income, hardship and residency requirements:

  • Have a reverse mortgage secured by a property in Florida;
  • Are a legal U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident;
  • Reside in your house as your primary residence;
  • Have income lower than 140% of the average median income in your area;
  • Have fallen behind on property-related expenses due to a hardship such as medical expenses, reduction in income, home repairs, divorce, disability, unemployment or under employment, or other challenges; and
  • Can afford property-related payments once you’re caught up through this program.

Step Forward Michigan

The Step Forward Program provides up to $30,000 in assistance to homeowners in Michigan who have fallen behind on their property-related expenses. To be eligible homeowners must:

  • Occupy the home as your primary residence;
  • Have endured an eligible involuntary hardship that caused the reverse mortgage default, such as job loss, reduction of gross income, death, divorce or disability;
  • Be able to sustain payments for future property-related expenses, such as property taxes, homeowners insurance, and condo or homeowners association fees (e.g., the future payments must be 45% or less of your current gross household income); and
  • Have limited liquid cash reserves. (Your counselor will go over this with you.)

Who should I call if I think I’m being scammed?

If you are contacted by anyone who is not your mortgage company offering to work on your behalf for a fee or claiming you qualify for a loan modification or some other solution, you can report the suspected fraud by calling:

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Office of the Inspector General Hotline
800-347-3735 or email:
Federal Housing Finance Agency Office of the Inspector General Hotline
800-793-7724 or on the Internet at:


Learn about what help is available and who to contact.



Understand your reverse mortgage responsibilities.



Find the answers to common questions concerning your reverse mortgage.